The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should severely disabled kids be kept small?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Should severely disabled kids be kept small? Empty
PostSubject: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 am

Ok, new discussion topic...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15517226/

This article discusses a procedure and study that was done on a severely disabled child.

Were the parents right to request such actions?

Are the actions ethical?

Is there a benefit to such actions?
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2006 12:02 pm

Sounds like they are turning their kid into a family pet.

If it weren't for modern medicine a lot of people wouldn't be alive. Sometimes you have to wonder what God's intention was for people in that situation. Death or human science project?
Back to top Go down
Anna
Slightly improved typing skills
Slightly improved typing skills
Anna

Female Number of posts : 687

PostSubject: Re: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2006 12:30 pm

I dont think death would be the only other option. Yes it does seem like they are turning their child into the family pet. But at the same time the fact they have taken away her ability to menstrate is actually a good thing. I have worked in a situation where we had a 17 year old downsyndrome girl who was on the level of a 3-4 year old, she had to be tube fed, couldnt wipe herself and her only past time was putting puzzles together, which she did very well..Her period was just an inconvience for her as well as those of us who had to take care of her.
Her parents didn't turn her into a test subject, but I could see how stunting her growth in some areas might have proved a blessing. BUt i dont know..i am going to think about this some more...
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2006 5:01 pm

There are a number of things here that are disturbing to me.... the first is, why didn't the Dr.s involved say absolutely not? I think that we are stretching the boundries of ethics and making it seem like we are doing this for the good of humanity. I remember a Time article about 15-20 yrs ago that was about an Italian scientist that had successfully created 1/2 chimp 1/2 humans. He motivation was that it could be done. He was reprimanded and ordered to halt the tests and destroy the whatevers. Now we are doing the same thing again, but we have changed our reasoning to "help for humanity". If we can get pigs and chimps tp grow human body parts, then more will be available for transplants.... stretching the boundries...

the second thing that bothers me is that while their daughter is severly retarded, they are willing to subject her to cancer by giving her large doses of unrestricted (meaning not being balanced by progesterone) estrogyn. So when the little thing gets lukemia, or another type of reproductive cancer, she will suffer some more.

The parents are eventually going to be to old to care for her anyway, if she lives that long, which I guess is doubtful, so why not just hire someone to come in and turn/clean/lift her?
Back to top Go down
Linda
Fingers hurt, still can't stop!
Fingers hurt, still can't stop!
Linda

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? EmptyFri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Amanda where do you find these articles?!
Shocked
The first thing that I thought of is how do all the Dr.'s know this is going so well? The poor child can't talk so she can't say "I have pain" either. I think it's wrong. I think they are misguided in their obvious love for her & I agree with Unka Nell that hiring someone to lift & care for her when they are no longer able to would be the best thing BUT I have never had to deal with a situation like theirs.
I know in the home where Carlene (our madcap beach host) is, that terrible things have occured even tho it's a very nice place. They have dealt with sexual molestation & rape by the caregivers & retarded people are very "into" sex. This creates problems for everyone, the girl herself, staff & so on. We no longer have a country that takes care of our own handicapped, elderly or even our own children. That said, maybe this is a genuine fear for the parents & maybe that influenced their decision.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should severely disabled kids be kept small?   Should severely disabled kids be kept small? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should severely disabled kids be kept small?
Page 1 of 1