The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should kids get allowances?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Should kids get allowances? Empty
PostSubject: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am

Do you think children should get allowances? Why? Why not?

Personally, I think it's a good idea as it teaches children to be financially responsible. If a child spends all of his/her allowance at the beginning of the week, and then see something they want or just have to have on Friday, they will begin to realize that not all purchases are wise decisions and thought should definitely take precedence over impulse.

I do not think that the completion of basic household chores should be awarded with an allowance. Why? Basic household chores are a necessity - not an option. I believe that making your children contribute to the completion of household chores will also help to teach responsibility and much needed skills. There will not always be someone around to pick up after us, and we will not always receive a pat on the back for making our beds.

But then again, these are thoughts from one that does not have any children. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 am

No debate here from me... I agree with your thoughts.

I haven't thought out yet what chores will be worthy of pay though... it will probably be related to outside work with his dad...

Any ideas on what should be a paid chore?

I know I won't pay for clean rooms, emptying trash, vacuuming, and cleaning up after one's self around the house.
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 10:10 am

Jesse wrote:
Any ideas on what should be a paid chore?

I read an article this morning that suggested paid chores should be only those with occur infrequently, such as yearly cleaning of the garage/attic/whatever. I would think that "chores" for which you might pay someone else might be a good guideline. For children under/around the age of 5 or so, that would take more thought.

Here's the article link: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/ShouldYourKidsGetAnAllowance.aspx?page=1

Last edited by on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 10:17 am

I was always told that Food, TP, soap and a warm bed were payments for working around the house. Money was to be earned for doing work at a job outside the home. There was also lots of belts and screaming, but in the end everything turned out perfect! Tongue
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 10:20 am

Brian wrote:
I was always told that Food, TP, soap and a warm bed were payments for working around the house. Money was to be earned for doing work at a job outside the home. There was also lots of belts and screaming, but in the end everything turned out perfect! Tongue

Well...this is the debate section...your parents are allowed their own views. For some reason though...I see this as stemming mainly from your dad.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 10:32 am

I know God parted the Red Sea, but I don't know if he could squeese a dollar out of my dad, but I guess anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 am

Duncan only gets paid when he helps others, such as going to my moms and he does some work for her or Luther...same with Nanny, or if he does something Brandon or i would normally do. One day he did the dishes for me...he had never done them before and i don't see it as a chore i will ever ask him to do, laundry too....those are my things and i have certain ways i do them (Brandon knows not to touch those things too), but the day he did the dishes i wasn't feeling well, so he did them without me saying anything...i thought that deserved...something, i figured it was the least he should get for being so thoughtful, but he didn't ask for anything.

As far as chores, he doesn't get paid for daily things. He gets paid when he helps Bran out in the yard...like installing the drain tile, fixing the driveway, cutting the grass, fixing a car...stuff like that.

My parents didn't pay me...i think they felt that clothes on my back, books on the shelves, and food in my belly were payment enough.
BUT, once i was old enough to realize other kids were getting a weekly allowance (i think i was 11) they started paying me, but only because i did EVERYTHING...including cooking. My parents did nothing but cut the grass, as far as home care stuff. They both worked sun up to sun down...so if the boys and me wanted clean clothes or food, I had to do it (i did everything for the boys too). But i didn't mind, prepared me for my current job Wink and they really didn't pay me much...i think i got $10 a week, just enough to eat out with my friends on Saturdays and save a little up for special things.

I guess thats all...'m pretty much on the same boat with Amanda and Jesse...i think kids actually have to DO something to earn it, rather than having everything given to them.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 10:59 am

Amanda wrote:
For children under/around the age of 5 or so, that would take more thought.

Oh, we won't be paying Gideon for anything anytime soon... I think I read in SOP that age 6 is when regular required chores should be institued... he does lots of stuff now anyway... bed making, room cleaning, house clean-up, vacuuming his room, wiping baseboards & windowsills... and he'll jump for joy if you ask him to do any kind of work outside....

We used to pay him in stickers... but I've been slacking lately.... then when he collected enough stickers he could choose a reward... (ex... 20 stickers = lunch out with mom or 8 stickers = new book).

But I'm always thinking about the future... like when he's 10 and wants some $$.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Brian wrote:
I know God parted the Red Sea, but I don't know if he could squeese a dollar out of my dad, but I guess anything is possible.

God made water come out of a stone, but I think getting a dollar out of your dad would probly require Moses to hit him with a stick more than once or twice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should kids get allowances?   Should kids get allowances? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should kids get allowances?
Page 1 of 1