The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frontier house...could you...

Go down 
+6
Brian
Amanda
Gavin
Jesse
Bethie
Lynelle
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lynelle
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!

Female Number of posts : 1264
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Frontier house...could you... Empty
PostSubject: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyMon Sep 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Jesse's thread got me thinking about this again.

Do you think that you have the skills to "make it" if we had to live that way? Please notice that I said "if you had too." Not if you wanted to!

uncanell
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyMon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 pm

If i HAD to, certainly. I wouldn't complain like those stupid women...i mean, come on. What did they expect? But i know the work of a woman would be back breaking...but i would take it in stride knowing that Brandon and Duncan would have it far worse.
Besides, i already wash dishes by hand, how bad can it be Rolling Eyes lol!

Bethie
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyMon Sep 04, 2006 5:10 pm

It would be horrible and I would hate it but I would love to try it! What a great way to get healthy... of course we wouldn't be eating any pigs or making wine.... okay okay, just give me a present day house and then I will gladly do all the outside stuff and take care of animals... maybe Question

Really though, I think I would complain a lot at first but did you see how they eventually got used to all those flies being around??? If the Cali snobs can do it anyone can!

So Lynelle... want to start plans for a MT compound? Say in Flathead??
Back to top Go down
Gavin
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Gavin

Male Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyMon Sep 04, 2006 6:41 pm

i like the fact that when you did somthing there you saw real results. like the fence and such. anyway yeah i could do it.....i'm like big and strong and hardcore and stuff.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyTue Sep 05, 2006 7:27 am

Well, if I HAD to do it, I'm guessing I wouldn't be holding another job as well, so then it might be possible. I mean, I have never seen the shows, but it must be something like how the Marbles used to live and the chores that were around when we had all the animals growing up.

I don't think it would necessarily be "fun," but I do think it would be possible. And, as Gavin pointed out, the immediate results thing would be cool. The woodstove to heat the water to do the dishes by hand though......I guess it would be just an extended version of living without power. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyTue Sep 05, 2006 8:39 am

Civil War Reenacting-- Been there done that.

Time is alot slower, much better way to live.
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyTue Sep 05, 2006 6:01 pm

I'm wid you Brian. But to have to do it for survival? How long did those re-enactments last? The frontier house people had to stick it out for 9 months I think. A lot of it was about whiney people, but if you looked beyond that you saw how hard it was. In order to "finish" they had to have enough food put up to last the winter, enough hay cut for the animals, enough wood to heat and cook with. Everyday consisted of that. I don't even know if I could handle that on a day to day basis. No $ coming in, the stress of having to prepare everything that would go in their mouths all winter long.

If you haven't seen it, you should rent them (Netflix). It is real eye opening and a good primer for what will be in all our futures....or our childrens....
Back to top Go down
Gavin
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Gavin

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyTue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm

yeah i think it was like 5 months....either way it had to suck
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyThu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 pm

I can think of a lot of words to describe you, Guppy, but "Hardcore" is not one of them. I associate that with Lil' Kim and other unseamly people.... not dear old you.

Could I make it? Sure. As an Adventist, I'm fully prepared for the day I ride way on my bicycle (because I learned how to ride already) up the mountain and hide in the cracks and crevices and call out to the Lord for mercy and somesuch!

But when you think about it... it's much easier said than done. We (the lot of us) probably have a better chance at this point than most people because we already face certain difficulties in the way we currently live (namely, the fact that we can't go to good yard sales because they're always on Sabbath! ... that's *just* like hunting for food and stuff!)

But on a more serious spectrum: Do you know your berries? Your leaves? Can you identify a poisonous weed (bloodroot) vs. non-poisonous (dandelion)? Not those two specifically, of course. I hope you all know what Dandelion looks like. I ate wolfsbane when I was a kid. Made me totally ill. Can you delegate authority? Are you prepared to be put in charge of mindless people that don't listen well and act like sheep? Can you make a fire in the middle of a snowy landscape?

Sure, I could manage... but boy do I ever not want to put those girl scout things to use.... thus the reason I'm staying in a cushy camper at family camp. queen It's the spoiled city girl in me and I'm not afraid to say she exists!
Back to top Go down
Bethie

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 6:25 am

Ginnifer wrote:

But when you think about it... it's much easier said than done. We (the lot of us) probably have a better chance at this point than most people because we already face certain difficulties in the way we currently live (namely, the fact that we can't go to good yard sales because they're always on Sabbath! ... that's *just* like hunting for food and stuff!)

But on a more serious spectrum: Do you know your berries? Your leaves? Can you identify a poisonous weed (bloodroot) vs. non-poisonous (dandelion)? Not those two specifically, of course. I hope you all know what Dandelion looks like. I ate wolfsbane when I was a kid. Made me totally ill. Can you delegate authority? Are you prepared to be put in charge of mindless people that don't listen well and act like sheep? Can you make a fire in the middle of a snowy landscape?

Sure, I could manage... but boy do I ever not want to put those girl scout things to use.... thus the reason I'm staying in a cushy camper at family camp. queen It's the spoiled city girl in me and I'm not afraid to say she exists!

HAHAHAHAHA! Totally true Ginny.

You know, i think that if we stick together as a family, we would do just fine...everyone has something they know and are good at. Brandon would be a great leader...he already does that daily with a group of over 19 people. Of course, they are a bunch of Latinos that will do whatever you say instead of pig headed Czeizingers/Perschinos. But i think that we are all smart enough to work together to get things done and whatnot. Don't you?
Anna and I could help with the cooking, since thats something we know a lot about and enjoy doing, you could handle the edumacation and entertainment of our kids Laughing , Jesse could handle the organization of meals or some such, uncanelle can handle any animals Laughing , and the guys...um...they can hunt and gather and protect...right? lol! JK...
Anyhoo...
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 am

lol!

Having the desire to do something and being good at it are two different things.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Ummmm, not that I would ever turn anyone away, but you guys, as SDA's, we are supposed to be the solution, not part of the problem. We are to stand as INDIVIDUAL lighthouse's in our communities. So...instead of huddling together, why not take every opportunity to learn these skills, so that we can feed and take care of the other people that haven't had the light on this things as we have.

Yes, Ginny, I do know the difference between bloodroot and dandilion. And I know that as a food source bloodroot is toxic, as a medicinal it is a very good "woman herb." Although it has been used to induce abortions (Indians). We ladies should know about the medicine that is growing in our backyards. In Cumberland there is an abundance of plaitain, dandilion, dock, yarrow, gravel root, mullien, self heal, st. johns wort that can be used to heal. I am slowly learning abut the weeds and herbs here. It takes an effort, but it is worth it. We should also know how to dry and use these herbs. We need to know how to perserve food, and I don't mean just canning, b/c one day there won't be any jar lids. We need to know how to live w/o the things that we are so used to now.

Our men should know how to prepare the ground for planting, when to plant, what to plant and when it's harvested. We need to know how to deal with the insects that come.

I know that trust in GOD is the most important, but He expects us to put forth our very best effort. And do you know what it is for? Not for us, but for those that He will lead to our homes or hideaways that need to be fed and hear the gospel.

I was at a families home yesterday picking up some veggies. Their place looked like a garden of eden. There was food growing everywhere abundantly.... THAT is what all of our homes should look like!

end of rant.........
Back to top Go down
Anna
Anna

Female Number of posts : 687

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Well, there you have it..if Jason and I aren't shot by our neighbors, we're going to starve to death....*sighs*
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 pm

So Lynelle I putting you in charge of leading a class about all the plants we should know about... since you already have the knowledge you should start spreading it!

Let's see... how does tomorrow nigth sound? Bring some books, lesson studies, sketching pads, gloves, buckets, garden shoes, loose paper and pencils, and of course homework for our home studies portion.... I need pictures of everything with the proper spelling and way to pronouce all that weird stuff.... and after we identify everything then we have to be tested on it's uses..... no really, this is how I learn... cram for tests then it's engrained for atleast 3-5 years.

Where would you suggest we start? What topic and what media outlet?
Back to top Go down
Bethie

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 1:05 pm

Hmm...good luck on that one Lynelle. Rolling Eyes

I feel good and thoroughly spanked...and it makes me feel like i did when i was disiplined as a youngster...being even badder... lol!

I know i for one was joking. I know a lot of survival skills. When i was younger, we lived in a crap hole that rarely had electricity(either it went out cause the electric company sucked or because we couldn't afford to have it) so i know very well how to cook, clean and live without it, though i don't like too. I mean, heck, i didn't even know central air and heating existed until i met Brandon...now thats sad! As far as the plants..its VERY hard for me to learn about things i have no intrest in, which is probably why i did so bad in school, so i doubt i will ever pick up a book about plants to actually LEARN about them...but i do already have many plant use and origin books (care of my nanny, see, i knew she could do something helpful!). I'll just carry the books around with me all the time Laughing

Anyhoo...
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Bethie wrote:
Hmm...good luck on that one Lynelle. Rolling Eyes

I feel good and thoroughly spanked...and it makes me feel like i did when i was disiplined as a youngster...being even badder... lol!

I know i for one was joking. I know a lot of survival skills. When i was younger, we lived in a crap hole that rarely had electricity(either it went out cause the electric company sucked or because we couldn't afford to have it) so i know very well how to cook, clean and live without it, though i don't like too. I mean, heck, i didn't even know central air and heating existed until i met Brandon...now thats sad! As far as the plants..its VERY hard for me to learn about things i have no intrest in, which is probably why i did so bad in school, so i doubt i will ever pick up a book about plants to actually LEARN about them...but i do already have many plant use and origin books (care of my nanny, see, i knew she could do something helpful!). I'll just carry the books around with me all the time Laughing

Anyhoo...

goodness... didn't mean it to sound like a reprimand.... but just pointing out things that we need to know. It helps when you are interested in it.

here's a BTW... did you know that plain white viegar will nuetralize a brown recluse bite? yep it does... saw it with my own eyes and a plaintain poultice will help to draw the poison out......

Anna put that in your good things file....offer your neighbors all the choplets that you have and beg for your life..... and find your way back here.
Back to top Go down
Anna
Anna

Female Number of posts : 687

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 2:11 pm

Maybe we should start planning this now so that Jason will have time to get used to the idea..and work out any kinks in the plan... cheers Yahoo
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 3:14 pm

Actually... Even if Jess WAS joking ... It would be interesting to take a weekend and camp and have "mini" lectures as a family! We can all pick a survival-type topic and research it and teach everyone else.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Anna wrote:
Well, there you have it..if Jason and I aren't shot by our neighbors, we're going to starve to death....*sighs*

As will Brian and I because the deer eat everything we plant.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:01 pm

We can all take turns teaching stuff, that sounds cool.

Hunter can teach "Poison Ivy Awareness" complete with free samples.

Brian and AJ can collaborate on "Felines: Our Furry Friends" this course includes hours and hours and hours of photos and home videos.

Unkanell can teach "Goats: Milk, Meat, and Pelts" (or "Goats: Let Nothing Go To Waste") again, a course with samples!

Uncle Lee can teach "Lightning: Harnessing The Power Of Nature" which will include some free grounding wire. This class will include numerous opportunities for volunteers.

Tiddle can teach "Getting Shocked: Graceful Spasming" for which we might have to purchase a taser to really enable a learning environment. Again, a class with multiple opportunities for volunteers.

Gup can teach "Optimism: The Correct Outlook For Frontier Living" with lots of hugging and together time.

Ginny can teach "Roughing It: Loving Living Without A/C Or Shower Gel" which she will begin preparing for about a week in advance. Air freshener will be provided, but will of course be optional

I would be happy to teach "Ballistae: Physics At Work" which will be immediately followed by a deer roast if successful.

Uncle Loren can teach "Hunting With A Heart: Empathetic Hunting" instructing us on how to relate to animals... Right before we eat them.

Beth can teach "Beads: Bartering And Trade" detailing a frontiersmans main source of revenue. Bring salmon blood, shells, string, and some river rocks.

GiGi can teach "Fashion: Pelts! Pelts! Pelts!" after all, just because you're a savage doesn't mean you have to dress like one.

If anyone else wants to teach anything, just let me know.

-Jig

Fight the Power! afro
Back to top Go down
Gavin
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Gavin

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:09 pm

i can hear Gigi after coming home from bartering....this pelt wasnt the cheapest but he said it came from france! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Yeah, I picked it up off of a mink for cheap!
Back to top Go down
Gavin
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Gavin

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:19 pm

i won this pelt today!
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:36 pm

I offered 5 beads, and someone else offered 6! So I said 8 and threw in Rhode Island and I won!

-Jig
Back to top Go down
Bethie

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... EmptySat Sep 09, 2006 8:50 pm

lol! Oh man, you guys crack me up! That was great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frontier house...could you...   Frontier house...could you... Empty

Back to top Go down

Frontier house...could you...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next