The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More ruminations on Frontier House

Go down 
+2
Ginnifer
Lynelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynelle
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!

Female Number of posts : 1264
Registration date : 2006-08-22

More ruminations on Frontier House Empty
PostSubject: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptyTue Sep 05, 2006 10:30 pm

I was thinking some more about this as I was loading my dishwasher in my airconditioned house. All of you guys that answered the original ? said that "yeah, I could do it." OK, so how? The PBS show families got a crash course in early 1800 centuary living, courtesy of people who had been studying that for years.

Now the "what if...

we all were suddenly forced to live in those circumstances. You guys said you could, so how would this happen? Could you honestly feed your family? Where do the seeds come from? Wash your clothes by hand... in a creek, where does youer soap come from? Cook over an open fire, how do you make bread? How would you cut wood? I know that many of us have the tools in our sheds to do some of this, but how are you gonna cook on an electric stove? Get your water out of your drilled well? Replace clothes that wear out or tear. Perserve your food so that it will keep through the winter. Keep more than 1 room warm on the winter. Provide clothing for the changes of seasons?

As SDA's with TONS of counsel regarding how to live we should be part of a solution- not part of the problem... What skills do you need to know? Or are you gonna wind up on a bridge somewhere waiting for the US government to air drop you food and water (ala Katrina survivors)

Life is short... learn a skill.
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptyThu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Yea, because that's what I said, in a more comical fashion. I was hoping I'd be with you when the fleeing happened and you could counsel me. I'll know how to sew and I'll have plenty of yarn to leave a trail back to the grocery store. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 6:17 am

lol! Good one Ginny...i'm with you on that one...i'll try to be with someone that knows something...or i'll just flee to uncanelles house...she has chickens, so we'd have eggs to eat, she has a goat, so we'd have milk...i can live on eggs and milk...and i'll bring the dutch oven...i have an awesome brand new one. When we started preping for the bird flu crap i bought one so that we could have a nice open fire and still be able to cook. Its exactly like the ones they used on Frontier House...its so cool...i would love to be able to use it...and wash clothes by hand? Are you nuts? I'll just be sure to stock up on deodorant. But you know, i do like the "stonewashed" look...
Anyhoo...i will just do like they did in the Bible...trust and pray that God will clothe and feed me. I have no doubt he would send some birds to bring me food twice a day, and its gauranteed to be kosher... lol!

Bethie
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptyFri Sep 08, 2006 10:22 am

And I've been desiring a hand pump for over a year now... you can get ones that go into drilled wells and attach to the top of the pipe.... b/c yeah w/o water we'd die anyway.... but we're talking $2G. It's good even for if the power goes out for a week like back during Isabelle. I told Gavin we could bucket water in and still be able to use the toilets..... he told me no that I'd have to go in the woods.... ewwwwwww!!!

I want all the cast iron cook ware too.... but I kind of figure it's pointless to have it while we live in this house.... we are looking to move one more time, hopefully somewhere a little more secluded.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptySun Sep 10, 2006 1:05 pm

All the hand pumps I've found won't draw from more than 30-50 feet down, so all our wells are inaccessible due to that.

As for cooking, I have lots of antiques and they burn very well so no wood shortage there.

As for clothes we could just alter some of Gigi's collection out in my garage, that would keep us in designer labels for at least 2-3 years.
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptySun Sep 10, 2006 1:54 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gavin
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Old Fart Super nOOb!!!!
Gavin

Male Number of posts : 417

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House EmptySun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Jig wrote:
All the hand pumps I've found won't draw from more than 30-50 feet down, so all our wells are inaccessible due to that.

As for cooking, I have lots of antiques and they burn very well so no wood shortage there.

As for clothes we could just alter some of Gigi's collection out in my garage, that would keep us in designer labels for at least 2-3 years.
the pump Jess was looking into would go like past 70 ft i think as long as you wanted to keep buying extra pipe...like 40 bucks a pop i think. im sure you could hook an adapter to reg pvc pipe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More ruminations on Frontier House   More ruminations on Frontier House Empty

Back to top Go down

More ruminations on Frontier House
Page 1 of 1