The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This one's for Jason ;)

Go down 
+3
Jig
Ginnifer
Amanda
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906
Registration date : 2006-08-22

This one's for Jason ;) Empty
PostSubject: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyWed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 am

Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyWed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

I got 7/12 on that one... And only because I'm a good guesser and actually watched La Dolce Vita. Teehee.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 12:37 pm

3/10. Dude that one sucked.
Back to top Go down
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 pm

6/10...

Incorrect
The correct answer: A The Spanish word for cowboy
Buckaroo derives from the Spanish word vaquero ("cowboy"). The word's Latin root, vacca ("cow"), is also the source of the word vaccine, which reflects the practice of injecting people with small doses of cowpox to prevent smallpox.

Did that make ANY sense???
Brandon said Buckaroo is NOT Spanish...They would just say Vaquero...never buckaroo...Thats too gay.

I say that i should have gotten 7/10!

Bethie
Back to top Go down
Anna
Anna

Female Number of posts : 687

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Beth in some dialects of Spanish the V is pronounced as a B...so it would sound like Buckaroo
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 2:49 pm

But Vaquero isn't pronounced anything like buckaroo, whether the B was pronounced as a V or not. Its Va-Care-O (rolling the R of course).

Bethie

P.S. I know nothing of Spanish, but Brandon speaks it like someone actually from Mexico...in fact, i can't tell you how many people have asked him which part he came from...even with the blue eyes and blonde hair, which they actually have in Salvador and some parts of Mexico since the Germans were mixing with the locals way back when...so i'm just going by what he says.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Bethie wrote:
....in fact, i can't tell you how many people have asked him which part he came from...even with the blue eyes and blonde hair, which they actually have in Salvador and some parts of Mexico since the Germans were mixing with the locals way back when...so i'm just going by what he says.

hahaha

I got tycoon, parasite, oragutan, and hippopotamus right... so that's 4/12... atleast I did better than Jig... do I get an award??
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Bethie wrote:
But Vaquero isn't pronounced anything like buckaroo, whether the B was pronounced as a V or not. Its Va-Care-O (rolling the R of course).

Bethie

P.S. I know nothing of Spanish, but Brandon speaks it like someone actually from Mexico...in fact, i can't tell you how many people have asked him which part he came from...even with the blue eyes and blonde hair, which they actually have in Salvador and some parts of Mexico since the Germans were mixing with the locals way back when...so i'm just going by what he says.

Yes, but as with many words, "Vaquero", as Anna said, can be the start of it, and has likely morphed into Buckeroo over the years due to the many linguists (or non-linguists as the case may be) who have tried to pronounce it their own way. This happens all the time.... just ask Texans how you say "Bosque"... or ask a person just learning how to read how to say "Hors d'oeuvres" .... or even ask a Northerner how to say Soda. Twisted Evil

'Tis all relative, m'dear.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 6:28 pm

or ask Brian to say huge...
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Most definitely - it's all relative. I mean, look at Brian's post from the other day - 200+ ways to say "no," including different variations all within the US.

Words originate from specific sources, but by the time the different nationalities, cultures, and even regions get done with them they rarely sound the way they started.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptyFri Sep 01, 2006 7:08 pm

Jesse wrote:
or ask Brian to say huge...

That was Gavin's post not mine!!!!! Please don't punish me!!!
Back to top Go down
Brandon
nOOb
nOOb
Brandon

Male Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) EmptySat Sep 02, 2006 9:20 am

Ask Brian to say Highway(and no I didnt post that just cause all the forum is in Russian I think) But I would really know what Country the Buckaroo came from Shocked Its not even close but oh well I didnt even take the test and have no intention of doing so......Adios

Brandon Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This one's for Jason ;)   This one's for Jason ;) Empty

Back to top Go down

This one's for Jason ;)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Family Nut house :: The Family Zone :: The Family Nut house (General Chat)-
Jump to: