The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1st day of Spring!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2006-08-22

1st day of Spring!! Empty
PostSubject: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 8:50 am

YAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

So are you planting a garden this year??

I have my lettuce & spinach already growing... if anyone can offer advise on those two items I would appreciate it.... they always seem to get to the same size and then stop growing for me.

I got babies growing inside of cucumbers, peppers, 2 types of tomatoes, basil, and lavendar.

Gavin put up a fence around the two beds that I'm using right now.. it's just chicken wire but that's enough to deter Zoe from running through them and crushing whatever is growing.

I've got my gallon jugs cut up and ready to hold tomato and pepper plants by the end of the week.... I used them last year to set summer crops out earlier and they worked great!!!

I have several different flower bulbls to get in the ground this week and I need to buy more potting soil for the flowers/veggies/herbs that I'm going to grow on the deck or in my hanging baskets.

I'm soo excited!!! And the joy lasts until June/July when it's 95 degress outside with 90% humidity.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 8:52 am

Lynelle... is it true that you can't grow tomatoes and/or potatoes in the same spot two years in a row b/c of the bugs/eggs???

Have you ever done that before and had any problems?
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 9:06 am

HOW DARE YOU disgrace the last day of Winter. Spring is March 21st which is tomorrow. I can't believe you would do that to the last day of the most beautiful season we have.
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 am

If you had some kind of wilt last year where you planted the pots. and toms. then you can't do it. But I remember seeing your plants late in the fall and they looked good. So keep your soil fertility high and they should do alright. The lettuce and spinach are heavy feeders and need extra nitrogen. Yoou can use chemicals, but just getting some alfalfa pellets is better. Just make sure that they only have alfalfa in them. DO NOT USE THEM ON YOUR TOMATOES OR PEPPERS. Too much nitro on those crops will cause a LOT of really healthy leaves and plants, but no fruit. So only use it on the crops that you WANT a lot of leaves from. Also maintain moisture in the lettuce and spinach, plus if you have any compost sidedress them with that too. Wood ashes (if you can get some) would help too as your soil is prob. very acid. I can tell b/c of the pines... they need acid soil.

You've inspired me.. today is lettuce and spinach day!
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 12:13 pm

The girls and I are going to start the herbs and such in the back plot in a week or so, as soon as I have money again. Ugh.

Anyway, still waiting on the garden to get all clean. Probably won't actually have anything in it till winter! LOL
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 1:19 pm

I'm doing a herb garden in the small garden bed and just planting wild flowers in the two large garden beds. We had lots of crops last year and didn't eat a bite of any of it, so ima just go with "cheap" this year. $10 and i can have two very large flower beds:o) Atleast i will enjoy picking the flowers and displaying them in the house.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 6:30 pm

Brian wrote:
HOW DARE YOU disgrace the last day of Winter. Spring is March 21st which is tomorrow. I can't believe you would do that to the last day of the most beautiful season we have.

While the 21st is the first FULL day of spring.. spring actually started today.

monkey

(do we have a brown noser smiley??)
Back to top Go down
Bethie

Female Number of posts : 1183

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Actually i think Spring doesn't start until 8 something tonight...
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Good to hear about the tomatoes/potatoes...

I asked Sara at Cardens about the spinach/lettuce stuff last week and she said that when I fertalize (sp?) to do it on the sides and not actually on the plant b/c that will burn it... I never knew that!! That might be one reason why they have died in the past. So I did put some miracle grow blue water down the sides of the rows and I think the spinach already looks healthier and bigger! Lettuce... still very small.

Thanks for the advise Lynelle! I really needed it!
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2007 8:08 pm

I got some dahlia's and some peony's planted today!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st day of Spring!!   1st day of Spring!! Empty

Back to top Go down

1st day of Spring!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Family Nut house :: The Family Zone :: The Family Nut house (General Chat)-
Jump to: