The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is the world actually more evil now?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Is the world actually more evil now? Empty
PostSubject: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 8:55 am

I think this could be an interesting topic, Do you think the world is actually more evil and more destructive now then it was say 50 to 100 years ago?
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 am

My answer is sort of mixed.
I think that part of the problem is caused by man being to smart for his own good. I believe modern medicine has caused alot of the problems, its allowed man to live longer. Back when man depended on roots and herbal remedies, man didn't stand to live very long.
"In 1900, life expectancy for men was 49.7 years and for women 50.9 years. But by the middle of the century, men could now be expected to live to 65.6 years of age and 71.7 years for women."

With the life expectancy increased its ments the overall population had dramaticly increased. So I think a large part of the problem is to many people one small earth. So this is why I think earth has become more evil and destructive.

But the other part to why I saw think its not really any worth then it was 50 to 100 years ago is Communications. With the invention of TV and Internet, its made our seemingly large world a very small place to live. On a daily basis we hear of all types of problems from across the US and even around the world. A 100 years ago you wouldn't probably know what was going on just the next town over, let alone in a different state or even a different country. Since the interaction with the entire world was very limited back then, it didn't seem like a bad place to live since for the most part you never heard about them. But now we basicly know every bad thing that happens from around the world, and it never stops. I'm not saying the crime rate hasn't increased, I'm just saying our access to the knowldge of crimes has greatly increased.

Just my 2 cents, what ya'll think?
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 am

Interesting topic.

I do not believe that the world is more evil now than it was 50 to 100 years ago. As humans, our tendency to do evil is as much a part of us as is the ability to breathe. The difference comes from whether we act upon the tendency.

While it may seem to some that we are more evil, I think it is more a matter of us being informed about each and every little thing. News spreads faster these days. Media corporations have to have news to report, and most likely they are going to report that which thrills/angers/causes subscribers to react. Do you seriously think that no one murdered/abused/tortured people 50 to 100 years ago? Do you think no one lied or stole? A prime example of how wrong these beliefs are is WWII.

Now, the other part of the question asks if the world is more destructive now than it was 50 to 100 years ago. I believe that it is, if only because it is now easier to be destructive.

Knowledge, technology, and the ability to distribute have all expanded with time. We have been able to develop or fine-tune methods of destruction so that it has become a science. While the fallout is much the same as it was with more primitive methods of destruction, we have also been able to pinpoint designated "hit areas." Information on building bombs, missiles, knives, guns, etc. is widely available via the internet. While you may have to circumvent some rules, it is possible to gather all parts needed to create these items from local grocery stores, feed stores, or through the internet and mail.

So, maybe after all it's not that we have become more destructive, but rather that we have been given the opportunities and abilities to allow our destructive natures to take over.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 10:50 am

I would have to disagree and I had 5 short sentences... and now they are gone... grrr....

But basically... less than 100 year ago people safely and fearlessly slept with their doors unlocked.... who does that now? It's not just b/c we hear about more evil it's b/c there is more evil. As the Holy Spirit withdraws from the earth wickedness increases.

Just a sample of quotes:

"Many now will plead to remain in the cities, but the time will come erelong when all who wish to avoid the sights and sounds of evil will move into the country; for wickedness and corruption will increase to such a degree that the very atmosphere of the cities will seem to be polluted" CL pg 28

"Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men." CD pg 356

"There is coming, rapidly and surely, an almost universal guilt upon the inhabitants of the great cities because of the steady increase of determined wickedness." HP pg 344

"Paul warns us that we may look for wickedness to increase as the end draws near: "The Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." 1 Timothy 4:1. The apostle says that "in the last days perilous times shall come." 2 Timothy 3:1. And he gives a startling list of sins that will be found among those who have a form of godliness." PP 102

"More and more, as wickedness increases in the great cities, we shall have to work them from outpost centers. This is the way Enoch labored in the days before the flood, when wickedness was rife in every populous community, and when violence was in the land." RH
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 10:58 am

I disagree Jesse, not with your quotes, but with how they tie into the initial question. That is:

"Do you think the world is actually more evil and more destructive now then it was say 50 to 100 years ago?"

To me, wickedness and evil are two different matters. Wickedness, in the sense used in the quotes posted by Jesse, is the enactment of evil, or rather the carrying out of evil. Evil, on the other hand, is a trait. (At least to my way of thinking.) For instance, you can have the propensity to be or do evil, but that does not mean that you will or have.

Because of that, I hold the opinion that the world is not actually any more evil than it was in prior years. However, the enactment of evil acts, or wickedness, have increased.
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 am

Yes but the evil acts that have increased are much more evil/disgusting/outrageous than ever before. Yes we (as humans) have always had the propensity/capasity to commit these acts. And some of them may have been committed in the past... but b/c of the television and movies evil has grown to a new level and had increased dramatically. By beholding we become.

(I would put the pickon faces here but that isn't an option in the quick reply section). If you want to get technical Brian worded the question "more evil AND more destructive" not "or". And of course I'm assuming that by "world" he meant the human race/population.

Has our ability to be evil increased... I would day no, except for our ability to gain knowledge of more ways to be evil. But wickedness and destructiveness (sp?) have increased.
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 11:40 am

Jesse wrote:
If you want to get technical Brian worded the question "more evil AND more destructive" not "or". And of course I'm assuming that by "world" he meant the human race/population.

Yep, I never disputed that.

Jesse wrote:
Has our ability to be evil increased... I would day no, except for our ability to gain knowledge of more ways to be evil. But wickedness and destructiveness (sp?) have increased.

Isn't that the same thing I said?
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 11:41 am

LOL, I love when we agree
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 11:49 am

lol!

We just have a different way of expressing our thoughts initially.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Sorry I disagree with both of you guys. I think that the propensity to evil has increased through the years. We are all born with a sinful nature, which means that the draw to sin is in us at conception. However evil is not a trait that is inherent in everyone. My propesity to sin make make me a thief, but evil would drive me to abuse people and eat them.

Does Tech. play a part in the increase of evil? I would say a resounding YES. The material that is now available does feed the perversions and allows people to act out their fantasy's and the truley demented can't differentiate between fantasy or reality. Also as the angels are lettiong loose the winds of strife, then all those who are not completely on God's side will be really bad and then there is gonna be a whole lot more evil running rampent. I don't believe that we have really seen evil as bad as it's gonna get.

AS for destruction, yes again. People on the whole are more destructive. Road rage is a good example.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 10:10 am

Lynelle wrote:
My propesity to sin make make me a thief, but evil would drive me to abuse people and eat them.

scratch What in the world where you trying to say with this statment? I'm totally freaking out, and I'm never going to sit next to you again at the dinner table. There will always be atleast one person between us... FYI I don't taste like soy or tofu!!!!!!!!!

Lets say in one room there are 4 chickens and 2 of them are evil. In the other room there are 100 chickens and 50 of them are evil. Which room is more evil?
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 10:17 am

Brian wrote:
Lynelle wrote:
My propesity to sin make make me a thief, but evil would drive me to abuse people and eat them.

scratch What in the world where you trying to say with this statment?

I could be wrong, but I believe what she was saying is that her propensity to sin might make her a thief, but evil would drive her to abuse people and eat them.

Trying to think this through.....evil acts are sin. Sin is sin, there are no levels. So, how is stealing really any better or worse than abusing people and eating them?
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 11:36 am

Brian wrote:
Lynelle wrote:

scratch What in the world where you trying to say with this statment? I'm totally freaking out, and I'm never going to sit next to you again at the dinner table. There will always be atleast one person between us... FYI I don't taste like soy or tofu!!!!!!!!!

Lets say in one room there are 4 chickens and 2 of them are evil. In the other room there are 100 chickens and 50 of them are evil. Which room is more evil?

Thanks for the chuckle Brian... AJ was right in clarifying what I said, that's what I get for trying to walk and chew gum (in other words trying to talk on the phone and type coherent thoughts at the same time!)

Now on to your chicken anaolgy... while mathmatically the answer works out the same, which is half of the chickens are evil. But it also re-inforces my thinking... we have more evil chickens running about now.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Amanda wrote:
Brian wrote:
Lynelle wrote:

scratch What in the world where you trying to say with this statment?

I could be wrong, but I believe what she was saying is that her propensity to sin might make her a thief, but evil would drive her to abuse people and eat them.

Trying to think this through.....evil acts are sin. Sin is sin, there are no levels. So, how is stealing really any better or worse than abusing people and eating them?

Yes evil acts are sin, but sin is rebellion against God, so it's not inherently evil. Evil is what Satan is, God's restraing Spirit is no longer with him, so his every intent is to do evil. The same with the antidilvians in Noah's time. Their every thought was evil continously, God strove with them (through Noah) for 120 years and then their probation closed and they were destroyed.

I can be sinning, but not be evil. In my thinking, if I am sinning then I still have the hand of mercy extended, evil means that probation has closed and the person has gone far beyond where God can reach him.

So I still believe that there is more evil in the world today than where there was 100 years ago. To be consumed with the spirit of Satan is evil, and we have much evidance that is happening. I'll use Brian's anology with the chickens. There is evil in both rooms, but as the number of chickens increases the evil does so too. So.... the room that has the larger amount of chickens has increased exponentially the amount of evil
that can be committed.

AJ... feel free to clarify this for Brian.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Lynelle wrote:

I don't need to understand... All I need to know is to NEVER sit by you at the dinner table!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Brian wrote:
Lynelle wrote:

I don't need to understand... All I need to know is to NEVER sit by you at the dinner table!!!!

lol! I'm harmless as a rendeer
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2007 3:17 pm

ROTF I think your ment harmful as a DancingCow
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 am

Brian wrote:
ROTF I think your ment harmful as a DancingCow

harmful as a DancingCow ? Is this a repressed memory from your childhood Brian? Have a scary encounter with a DancingCow I'm so sorry.........
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Actually I was trampled upon and wrapped in the chain of a DancingCow when I was 8 years old... it's fair to say cows can be harmful.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 9:46 pm

Haven't been on in a while, so here's my take.

1. No, as people we aren't more evil. But due to advances in communications and traveling we are able to do more. 100 years ago a wicked person was kind of nailed down to a small area because that's the only ground he could really cover in a small amount of time. Now we can drive out of state, kill someone, and be back for dinner. I just think that it spreads it around more and that allows for more destruction and evil by people.

2. Just look at it statistically, small amount of people, small amount of evil people and psychos. Large amount of people, large amount of evil people and psychos...

3. I think my biggest argument is that people aren't more evil, but due to watching killings, maimings, and general crap on TV they just know more bad stuff to do.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? EmptySun Feb 25, 2007 11:41 am

Brian wrote:
I think this could be an interesting topic, Do you think the world is actually more evil and more destructive now then it was say 50 to 100 years ago?

Ok, sigh..... Rolling Eyes , I'll try one more time and I'll type reeeaaaallll slllooowww, because everyone knows that humans are stupid and that sheep have to talk slow for them to understand. lol! lol! (I put two in just so everyone would know that I don't really think that you'all are stupid... that was a quote form the movie "babe".)

Brian's original post asked if we thought that the WORLD was more evil. Now, a non-sentient thing cannot be evil, so the world is not evil. So what is evil in the world? We already know thanks to Jess that cows are evil. Very Happy . So my next guess, after the cows would be people. ANd you already know my thoughts on that.

So I still believe that we are more evil and more destructive than we were 50- 100 years ago.

And folks just a word of caution.... even if they look happy, watch out for those evil DancingCow !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the world actually more evil now?   Is the world actually more evil now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the world actually more evil now?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Family Nut house :: The Family Zone :: Debate Topics {Defend your stance on the subject}-
Jump to: