The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wednesday Quote

Go down 
+2
Amanda
Jesse
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyWed Nov 15, 2006 11:56 pm

We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
Buck Henry

Notice how leaders of other countries can speak multiple languages?? When's the last time that we had a president that knew proper English much less a second language?

I know I can't spell that well but I'm not leading the country!!
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 8:22 am

Jesse wrote:

I know I can't spell that well but I'm not leading the country!!

Yes, but the presidential candidates compete in debates - not spelling or language contests.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 8:34 am

If you think about what language all the other presidents can speak... its English. Oil, gays, civil wars, nucular threats, high taxes, sex scandles, drugs... and thousands of other problems we faces every day as Americans. Personally having a pres that can speak another language is pretty low on the concern meter!
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Jesse
Jesse

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 10:33 pm

I just figured it was important for our president to be intelligent.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyFri Nov 17, 2006 10:42 am

I am not sure when Buck Henry was quoted, but he may have been making fun of our presidents, not seriously suggesting that they learn another langauge. Ronald Reagon was famous for mispronouncing words and making new ones up. Our current Prez. is also known and made fun of for misprouncing and using words that don't apply to the contant of what he is saying... and who can forget Dan Quayles infamous and unforgettable spelling of potato?.... one can see Mr. Henry's point....

Also mastering multiple langauges carries with it the connotation that you are intelligent...... but unfortunately it doesn't define character.........
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyFri Nov 17, 2006 8:31 pm

Just cause you know several languages, doesn't make you a smart person. Its like slapping a Honda Sticker on your car and expecting it to give your car 35+ Horse Power.
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyFri Nov 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Brian wrote:
Just cause you know several languages, doesn't make you a smart person. Its like slapping a Honda Sticker on your car and expecting it to give your car 35+ Horse Power.

Quite right Brian.... nor does it make you a moral one either
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Jesse

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptySun Nov 19, 2006 11:40 am

Well I disagree totally! I am smart b/c I drive a Honda and people that know muliple languages are smart... or at least they are using more of their brains than the rest of us.

Arrow
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyTue Nov 21, 2006 12:12 pm

Brian wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Golly, you made my day with that one, Bri.

BTW- I know two (and am working on a third) languages already ... and I don't feel that it has helped me do anything but gloat during Scrabble.

I tend to agree with everyone else in that a language mastery doesn't make you smarter, or more worthy of the trust of other people. If anything, testing has shown that while learning a language can make you a better problem solver and creative thinker, it does nothing for your relationship skills or crisis management. So it's a tossup as to whether it would make a person a good president to boot. This is why people make money every year as translators... Just think. If we had a smart president, they might all lose their jobs.
Back to top Go down
Jig
Britan's Loyal Subject
Britan's Loyal Subject
Jig

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote EmptyTue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Brian wrote:

Yes, but the dashboard clock gave me at least 30.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wednesday Quote Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wednesday Quote   Wednesday Quote Empty

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Quote
Page 1 of 1