The Family Nut house
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Family Nut house

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A family of Nerds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

Male Number of posts : 1393
Registration date : 2006-08-22

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 am

In light of the newest game I thought it would be interesting to discuss it.

I stated at the very start of the story that I found it interesting ya'll were role-playing. But I was very quickly told it wasn't and ya'll are just having fun. Since its taken off and become so much fun for everyone, I just wanted to inform ya'll that this is a family of NERDS!

A role-playing game (RPG, often roleplaying game) is a type of game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization.

So with the defination of role-playing giving above, anyone care to comment? PickOn
Back to top Go down
http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

Female Number of posts : 1906

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 am

Not really, since I agree with this definition.

I would like to point out though that just because it can be called role-playing - that does not make it "bad" or "evil." As with all things, it's the effort and direction put into an act that helps to determine whether it is "good" or "bad." Simply tagging it role-playing doesn't make it synonomous with D&D or other related games.

That being said - if those involved in the creation of the story begin to act, talk, etc. as the characters in the story - well, that's going a little far. Smile

BTW - I find the story extremely amusing.
Back to top Go down
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!

Female Number of posts : 1183

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 9:54 am

I agree...i hate RPGs which is why you won't find any posts by me in that story line. I can't into to "mystical/mythical" things. Now if Brandon were still on the site he would have a great deal to add to the story since that is his "thing."

Anyway...i stopped reading the story days ago...to much to read...sorry. tongue
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 9:59 am

Amanda wrote:
I would like to point out though that just because it can be called role-playing - that does not make it "bad" or "evil."

I completely agree with you, hence the reason I've never liked how most people look at Role-playing. Yes there is a bad side to it, but there is also a fun and creative side to it. But that can be said about everything. I didn't say the story was evil or bad, I stated it was role-playing. There is alot of creative forms of Role-playing that allow people to enter an imaginary world and steer their characters in what ever direction they would like them to go. Its sort of an adults version of an imaginary friend.

I just dislike when people stereotype Role-playing as evil, when there are many forms that are the furtherest thing from that.
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 10:07 am

Brian wrote:
Amanda wrote:
I would like to point out though that just because it can be called role-playing - that does not make it "bad" or "evil."

I completely agree with you, hence the reason I've never liked how most people look at Role-playing. Yes there is a bad side to it, but there is also a fun and creative side to it. But that can be said about everything. I didn't say the story was evil or bad, I stated it was role-playing. There is alot of creative forms of Role-playing that allow people to enter an imaginary world and steer their characters in what ever direction they would like them to go. Its sort of an adults version of an imaginary friend.

I just dislike when people stereotype Role-playing as evil, when there are many forms that are the furtherest thing from that.

True, and I agree. But when the role-playing "stories" begin to take on real life occurrences it becomes extremely easy for lines to be crossed. If Rodney wears green tights to his wedding - the story must end! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills
Ginnifer

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 10:21 am

I happen to *like* RPGs, so I'm not at all bothered by that.... and I think I'll start acting like Linden, now, just to spite the rest of you. *said eerily as she tucks a stick into her pocket and gets a wierd, duck-lipped smile on her face*
Back to top Go down
Amanda
Queen
Queen
Amanda

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 10:23 am

Ginnifer wrote:
I happen to *like* RPGs, so I'm not at all bothered by that.... and I think I'll start acting like Linden, now, just to spite the rest of you. *said eerily as she tucks a stick into her pocket and gets a wierd, duck-lipped smile on her face*

Oh dear.
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Ginnifer

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 10:32 am

*****gleeful laughter******
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 11:05 am

Brian wrote:
In light of the newest game I thought it would be interesting to discuss it.

I stated at the very start of the story that I found it interesting ya'll were role-playing. But I was very quickly told it wasn't and ya'll are just having fun. Since its taken off and become so much fun for everyone, I just wanted to inform ya'll that this is a family of NERDS!

A role-playing game (RPG, often roleplaying game) is a type of game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization.

So with the defination of role-playing giving above, anyone care to comment? PickOn

I want to point something out in the above definition, and I will do it in caps so that it can't be missed; ....IN WHICH THE PARTICIPANTS ASSUME THE ROLES OF CHARACTERS... The only ones that comes close to this would be Yinng and Relyt who have given scrambled names to characters in the story. So if you want to call it role playing go ahead. In reality it is fiction, which I guess is too old fashioned to be called that now. But it doesn't change what it is .... just good ole' story telling. it's a time honored way of entertainment. RPing isn't anything new, after all Moses was very good at it.....
Back to top Go down
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
Brian

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am

But don't you have to ASSUME THE ROLES OF CHARACTERS in order to tell the story. If you don't think the character then how are you supposed to know what the character is going to do next? You have to know and understand your character to know how they are going to react in your story. Your totally right, it is story telling, so why is role-playing give such a bad rep, and why is it associated with Nerds?
Back to top Go down
Ginnifer
Ginnifer

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 11:16 am

But Lynelle, you scrambled first, didn't you? Deraj? The troll? He came before Relyt and Ynnig.... so we were just copying you.
Back to top Go down
Lynelle

Female Number of posts : 1264

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 11:31 am

Ginnifer wrote:
But Lynelle, you scrambled first, didn't you? Deraj? The troll? He came before Relyt and Ynnig.... so we were just copying you.

Yep, I did, but Deraj isn't MY name. Call it what you want Brian, it's still a good story and I am not assuming the characters that I write about, just plain observation on my part.... and Ginny's kids are such ripe subjects!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A family of Nerds Empty
PostSubject: Re: A family of Nerds   A family of Nerds Empty

Back to top Go down

A family of Nerds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Family Nut house :: The Family Zone :: The Family Nut house (General Chat)-
Jump to: