The Family Nut house

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

A Laughing Matter?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ginnifer
Slightly improved typing skills

Female Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-08-23

PostSubject: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:25 pm

You know, I have noticed how comments about the jokes in the "Joke" section just keep popping up in almost all of the other sections, so I'm wondering:

Who gets to decide when a joke is appropriate? Why do we all have to get offended if we accidentally read a joke that we don't like? Can't you tell from the first line or so if it will be something you find morally offensive? If it is, do you really have to comment on it?

I, personally, get accused of not being able to take a joke fairly often. I'm told that I'm too sensitive to joking comments and that I respond defensively on many an occasion. So I'm wondering this, not only in our own family joke spot, but in general.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!

Female Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm really not offended by jokes very easily, though i have been accused of not being able to "get" a joke...but thats cause i'm dense...not offended or defensive.

But i think your right in that, if you think you may be offended by a joke, no ones holding a gun to your head making you read it. If you DO read it and don't like it, just forget about it...don't bother posting that you don't like it, what does that do exactly?

Everyone should remember that no one on here is out to offend anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amanda
Queen
Queen

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Well, I had to chuckle at this one, but I will keep the reasons to myself.

I think the converse of this issue is, if you know a joke may offend a member of the forum in any way, shape, or form, why post it?

Personally, when I read a joke, or any post for that matter, I will usually skim it first to see if it is something that even interest me. If I find it offensive in a harmless way, I will usually let it pass. If it gets brought up repeatedly, when someone has voiced an issue with it, I will not.

True, no one on here is out to offend anyone. But, as I have learned repeatedly on this forum, some people have really thin skins or hot buttons about certain issues and topics. There is no need for any of us to blatantly post something that will cause a riot.

Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1393

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:19 pm

HOT BUTTON... THIN SKIN, How dare you say that about me. So me one occasion where I have been one or the other? I'm so offended, my finger is about ready to press the /g quit button.

Oh wait, you weren't talking about me, you were talking in general. Yeah I have no idea why people get offended over jokes. I'm found that most of the time if people don't laugh about the joke then they really didn't understand it.

Look at it this way, if you don't offend atleast one person a day then your not a true american and your not talking full advantage of our 1st ammendment. So go out there and offend someone today.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:41 pm

Brian wrote:
HOT BUTTON... THIN SKIN, How dare you say that about me. So me one occasion where I have been one or the other? I'm so offended, my finger is about ready to press the /g quit button.

Oh wait, you weren't talking about me, you were talking in general. Yeah I have no idea why people get offended over jokes. I'm found that most of the time if people don't laugh about the joke then they really didn't understand it.

Look at it this way, if you don't offend atleast one person a day then your not a true american and your not talking full advantage of our 1st ammendment. So go out there and offend someone today.

ROTF ROTF ROTF
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 pm

I can't think of a joke that I've ever been offended by.... like Beth I'm usually guilty of not understanding jokes though. Are you shocked???

I grew up with a dad that made nothing but crude jokes my whole life. I think it's a country thing. As long as I'm not being made fun of then it's usually an okay joke..... and even then if it's true it's okay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:15 am

Jesse wrote:
I grew up with a dad that made nothing but crude jokes my whole life. I think it's a country thing. As long as I'm not being made fun of then it's usually an okay joke..... and even then if it's true it's okay.

Same here, Jesse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 am

The fun part about jokes is they are just like life, everyone is different. Some people like one kind of joke others like another kind. Its just like some people like meat some don't. But we don't scold people for liking meat and tell them the meat was bad if we never even tried the meat. To each his own, the thing to remember is jokes are ment to be funny, if you don't find it funny then just move on.

Back to top Go down
Jesse

Female Number of posts : 1571

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 am

It all goes back to meat for you doesn't it Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:45 pm

Yep... cause we know what meat eventually turns into after we process it! Smile

Back to top Go down
Ginnifer

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 am

Come on, people! Get some riotous discussion here! This section is about controversy!!! Should I liven it up with a few slurs against pale people? (...while vigorously rubbing "instant tan" on myself).

Like I said. This is not just about US. There are a lot of people that are offended by jokes. I'm not one of them. There are some that I find in poor taste, but I don't feel the compulsion to read the riot act to anyone (except in fun, when I'm feeling ornery) or to not speak to them ever again (again, except in fun. LOL)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amanda
Queen
Queen

Female Number of posts : 1906

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:48 am

Ginnifer wrote:
Come on, people! Get some riotous discussion here! This section is about controversy!!! Should I liven it up with a few slurs against pale people? (...while vigorously rubbing "instant tan" on myself).

Like I said. This is not just about US. There are a lot of people that are offended by jokes.

I go back to my original answer....... Smile

Ginnifer

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Hmph. I am obviously not good at starting a war. I'll leave that to my hubby. He says enough to incite riot without me to help him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Jig is more like Iran, as soon as he opens his mouth everyone expects the worse, therfore everyone wants a war.

Your more like France, everyone just laughs when you even mention the word war.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Laughing Matter?   

Back to top Go down

A Laughing Matter?
Page 1 of 1