The Family Nut house


 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Life insurance

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Amanda
Queen
Queen
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1906
Age : 40
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:19 am

Should we have life insurance?

_________________
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1571
Age : 37
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:37 am

We deliberated on this subject for a while a few years ago (prior to deciding yes).

Gavin didn't want it only b/c it meant one of us would be dead inorder to ever use it... doesn't like thinking about dying/being dead I guess.

I know some like to argue it's not trusting in God to have it and it's a waste of $$... here was my arguement:

Ours is actually very cheap. For our combined insurance of $300,000 we pay right at $200 a year... and that rate is locked in for another 8 years (started at 10 but we've had it for 2 years now).

That's way cheaper than car insurance! We have 3 cars and 2 of them only have liability and it costs $1200-$1300 a year! Still a waste of money if you never use it.

My other reason was... Gavin if you die I'll have to live with Grandma. I didn't see a reason in being a burden to anyone else if we could easily afford to have a little life insurance.

Other opinions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:12 am

Your reason is... its very cheap???

The drug ecstasy is only $5 a pill... thats cheap but that doesn't mean I'm going to use drugs. PickOn

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 pm

Would you wanna leave your wife and kid with added debt? Its gonna cost a couple grand at the cheapest to either bury to burn you. Where is that money coming from? I think that everyone should atleast have enough Life Ins. to cover their burial costs. I mean...your already dealing with death, do you want to add debt to it too?
We have enough on me to cover paying off the house and my cremation. We have enough on Brandon to pay off the house, cremation and keeping Duncan and i from being a burden on others for atleast a few years. That was our goal. Because if something happened to Brandon and we DIDN'T have Ins...well...we'd have to sell our house, our cars and move in with someone. Thats just dumb!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Wouldn't it be wiser to invest the money you would be paying to LI instead. If you invest your money, then its actually your money.

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:58 pm

How do you suggest i invest it? Its only $50 a month and it would never equal to the amount we have on ourselves. It would take forever investing $50 a month to get $750,000 and what happens if something happens to either of us in the meantime?

Also...if were gonna do that, why do we bother paying for Health, Car and Homeowners ins.? Maybe we should invest that too...
We pay $6,800 a year in health, car and home owners(this however is temporary, it should go down to $5,600 once we sell the two other cars we have)...i'm sure we could find something else to do with it...but what happens if something comes up before our investment puts out or before we can save up enough money?

I'm really interested in this because if there is any other way...i would like to know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amanda
Queen
Queen
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1906
Age : 40
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:12 pm

Bethie wrote:
why do we bother paying for Health, Car and Homeowners ins.?

Health care: because you choose to (i.e. it's optional)

Car insurance: because you have to - it's required in the State of VA

Homeowners insurance: because your mortgage company requires it.

_________________
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Amanda wrote:
Bethie wrote:
why do we bother paying for Health, Car and Homeowners ins.?

Health care: because you choose to (i.e. it's optional)

Car insurance: because you have to - it's required in the State of VA

Homeowners insurance: because your mortgage company requires it.

What if you don't have a mortgage?
And you can pay $500 to not have car insurnace, that is often a lot less than having it. I mean, we pay $3000 a year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amanda
Queen
Queen
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1906
Age : 40
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:18 pm

Bethie wrote:
Amanda wrote:
Bethie wrote:
why do we bother paying for Health, Car and Homeowners ins.?

Health care: because you choose to (i.e. it's optional)

Car insurance: because you have to - it's required in the State of VA

Homeowners insurance: because your mortgage company requires it.

What if you don't have a mortgage and you can pay $500 to not have car insurnace, that is often a lot less than having it. I mean, we pay $3000 a year...


Then, it's your choice - as is the life insurance.

I'm not picking a side at this point. I posted the question because it is something I go back and forth on.

We are told not to worry about tomorrow - that God will provide for us.

So, in that view, should we have life insurance? Or, are we "playing God" by taking our own actions to ensure that we will be provided for?

_________________
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:27 pm

I think this is each individuals personal opinion and choice. I don't hitnk there is a right or wrong.
Cause you have good and bad on each side.
Like...God provides the money to pay for the Ins., so does that mean its ok to get?
Or, God will provide for us even if something does happen and we don't have Ins.
Or, God gives us the brains and the means to help ourselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:42 pm

There is ONLY Right or Wrong... there is no middle ground.

Quote :
God gives us the brains and the means to help ourselves.
lol! Thats why we are so messed up... I blame it on the puss and blood!

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Okay, so you say there IS a right or wrong with this...what is it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:39 pm

Hehe... funny you ask the same question that Amanda asked at the very start. I believe the entire point of the post is to answer your question.

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:04 pm

You made it sound like you knew it, and don't you think if there was an answer, we would already know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Bethie wrote:
You made it sound like you knew it

I did? scratch

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1571
Age : 37
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Too many things to respond to to quote them all so I'll do my best...

Life Insurance is an investment... we're all going to die one day... unless you're alive to see Christ come and for those few it won't matter.

Car insurance... another investment... are you not trusting in God by having it? Gavin and I haven't had an accident, ticket, or anything else in the 5 years that we have been married... was it worth the $1300 a year?

Home owners... we don't have a mortgage but we still have home insurance b/c eventually most everyone will need it for something... just like everyone is eventually going to die.

If I was single and debt free I wouldn't have life insurance.

But I think (my opinion based on my personal deliberations) it is irresponsible to not have it if you are married with children... and especially if you are in debt.

If it is something that you can't afford then maybe you should consider what return you're getting on the investment you're making in your cable TV or satelite or any other "luxury" that isn't going to profit your family in the event that you die.

And yes, if it wasn't "cheap" then we probably wouldn't have it. We got as much insurance as we could for the amount that we were willing to pay/valued the cost at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1571
Age : 37
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing.....

We trust in God... we don't have health insurance.

But the reason that we don't have health insurance isn't just because we trust in God... it's b/c it's tooo expensive. I think it's terrible stewardship to spend $3000 a year on absolutely nothing and then have to pay another $5000 out of pocket if anything ever did happen.

If it was cheap we would have it.

Life insurance is cheap. We have it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:40 pm

I would have to agree with the irrisponsible if you have children and especially if you have debt.
If something happened to me and we didn't have ins., Brandon would have to find someone to take care of Duncan right away because he would still have to go to work everyday. Atleast with the house paid off he wouldn't have to be in a rush to make decisions.
I just feel better having it and i don't feel it wrong for having it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynelle
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1264
Age : 60
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Brian.... I LOVE your avatar......

Anyhoos back to the thread. I think it's a good idea to have enough to cover the cost of the home and a couple of years to get back on their feet. We have just that through Lee's job, but I have been thinking that we should add on some. It would really stink for something to happen to Lee and we would have to move so that we could pay off he bills. Theres no way that I could make the $ that Lee does. If I go first, Lee would have to pay a high price to buy a wife to take care of all these kids............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 pm

Viagra is only $10 a pill and thats legal think Mrs.White would have taken Ecstasy then Bri Baby?(and this is Brandon because this Junky forum wont let me log Bethie out, can you say Renovate?)


Brian wrote:
Your reason is... its very cheap???

The drug ecstasy is only $5 a pill... thats cheap but that doesn't mean I'm going to use drugs. PickOn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Lynelle wrote:

If I go first, Lee would have to pay a high price to buy a wife to take care of all these kids............

Get one from a Third World country they are used to big Familys and working a full time job and cooking/cleaning but she needs to speak English cause explaining a Vegetarian diet isnt easy otherwise trust me(Brandon again Broken forum needs Renovation etc etc..)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brandon
nOOb
nOOb
avatar

Male Number of posts : 40
Age : 41
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:53 pm

Hope Moms got LI cause her car was on the worst crash list 1 up from the bottom......Buy big!! I mean who wants to ram a Surburan?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jesse
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1571
Age : 37
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:54 pm

Yeah I saw that crash rating thing on the news this morning... showed Linda's car getting all bashed up and ranking at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Site Owner
Site Owner
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1393
Age : 40
Location : N. VA
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 am

Bethie wrote:
Viagra is only $10 a pill and thats legal think Mrs.White would have taken Ecstasy then Bri Baby?(and this is Brandon because this Junky forum wont let me log Bethie out, can you say Renovate?)

Thats exactly my point... just cause its cheap doesn't mean we do it.
Oh and its called... click on the log out link... no need to renovate!

_________________
I know a lot of people without brains who do an awful lot of talking. - The Wizard of Oz
Banghead Banghead Banghead . why do I try???????? - Lynelle
Brian the Grand master! - Gavin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bothomas.smugmug.com
Bethie
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!
Killing Time... Wish I got paid for this!


Female Number of posts : 1183
Age : 36
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 am

Brian wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Viagra is only $10 a pill and thats legal think Mrs.White would have taken Ecstasy then Bri Baby?(and this is Brandon because this Junky forum wont let me log Bethie out, can you say Renovate?)

Thats exactly my point... just cause its cheap doesn't mean we do it.
Oh and its called... click on the log out link... no need to renovate!

We clicked on it 16 times and it wouldn't log me out.

We don't have life Ins. just cause its cheap...we have it so that either of us wouldn't have to sell our house if one of us dies or if both of us died, Linda wouldn't have to sell everything and send my son to day care just so she can work to pay to raise him. I wouldn't want to burden her with the raising of my son and have no money to give her to help. Wouldn't it be irresponsible for me as a parent NOT to have life ins. in this case?
Once you have kids, your whole outlook on life changes. You can't think of yourselves anymore.
When Brandon said what he said...he was teasing. He thinks the same as me on this one. As a parent you are being irresponsible if you don't have it. If it was just us...we probably wouldn't get it. We didn't get it until Duncan was born, as it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Life insurance   

Back to top Go down
 
Life insurance
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» CELEBRATING LOVE AND LIFE!
» Half Life Pixel art
» Eternal Life
» Flash of light when life begins.
» Pension for Life reply from VAC

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Family Nut house :: The Family Zone :: Debate Topics {Defend your stance on the subject}-
Jump to: